In Between Days
Shoulder Season Products to Cozy Up Your Outdoor Space
I think we can all agree that February is darker than the inside of Robert Smith’s closet. So, when the 28th rolls around and our calendars flip over to March, we feel like we just might survive the long winter! But before you break out the sundresses and melamine, it’s important to remember this: with the official first day of spring nearly three weeks away, even those of us in extremely temperate climates have still got at least 20 days of “shoulder season” to endure.
But there’s no reason to let brisk mornings and chilly evenings keep you from enjoying your outdoor living space. Just take a cue from the Danish concept of hygge (pronounced HOO-gah) which means to foster “a quality of cosiness and comfortable conviviality that engenders a feeling of contentment or well-being.”
The idea has gotten a LOT of press in recent years, and not without good reason; it’s basically a form of self-care that also involves shopping for warm and beautiful things. To which we say: COUNT.
PIT BOSS. Few things cut through the pre-spring chill like a crackling fire. Our Zero Fire Pit does triple duty by providing a chic container for those roaring flames, while also storing your extra wood AND providing a (heat-resistant) place to set your favorite beverage. The center pit even has detachable handles, so you can lift it up and out for easy ash disposal.
1. PIT BOSS. Few things cut through the pre-spring chill like a crackling fire. Our Zero Fire Pit does triple duty by providing a chic container for those roaring flames, while also storing your extra wood AND providing a (heat-resistant) place to set your favorite beverage. The center pit even has detachable handles, so you can lift it up and out for easy ash disposal.
2. ROCKER CHIC. Marigold is having QUITE the moment. If, like me, you’ve already lived through this uber-earthy yellow’s 1970s heyday, I hope you’ll join me in fully embracing the nostalgia of its return. I also invite you to bring golden-hour vibes to your outdoor space any time of day with our Acapulco Patio Rocker—the perfect throne for fire pit enjoyment.
3. WRAP STAR. Of course, you’ll also need a cozy cotton blanket for nights around the fire. Our Pink Olaias Throw is not only ultra-warm and machine washable—it’s one of the easiest ways I know to add a sophisticated pop of color to your outdoor environment. This one scores extra points for its vibrant, unexpected palette and striking tribal pattern.
4. FRINGE BENEFITS. Is there anything more hygge than a blankie? Oh, wait—pillows! As soft as it is durable, our Fringe Pillow is standing by to soften nearly any surface, from your new rocker to your outdoor sofa and beyond. We love the way the bohemian fringe texture plays with the colors of the Olais Throw and the naturally graphic nature of the Acapulco Rocker.
5. MODEL CITIZENS. Good news: Marie Kondo says you can keep your books if they continue to spark joy. Which is why, even though my kids and I have NEVER looked as radiantly put-together as the moms and babies on these pages, I am adding Assouline’s gorgeous Mother and Child coffee table book to my collection this spring. Pretty pics of pretty peeps.
6. BASKET CASE. I’ve found it’s essential this time of year to provide a physical reminder to take one’s things inside, lest the mercurial weather suddenly turn. This playful catch-all Tassled Basket is made to follow you from indoors to out—whether you use it to carry your stash of fresh oranges or keep your NYT crossword close at hand, it’s an indispensable wingman.
7. TEA TIME. A tin of tea that’s as pretty as it is flavorful? Count me in! Master tea blender Harney & Sons sources their Dragon Pearl Jasmine Tea directly from Fuan, China—where the tiny, hand-rolled tea “pearls” are infused with natural floral essences. The resulting blend of white and green teas is basically a cup of steaming, naturally sweet tranquility.
8. LADY LUK. The whole point of a hyggified outdoor living space is that it should feel like a natural extension of your most relaxing spaces indoors—and you don’t curl up with a good book wearing shoes! For sheer indoor-outdoor flexibility, not to mention washability, I love a good Muk Luk slipper. The Jamie knee-high is essentially an Irish Aran sweater for your feet.
Want some personalized advice about bringing the indoors outside this spring? We’d love to work with you! Get in touch today for a one-on-one consultation.